Website Birmingham Children's Theatre
Birmingham Children’s Theatre
Position: Technical Director
FLSA Status: Full Time, Exempt
Salary Range: $35,000 – $37,000
Birmingham Children’s Theatre is seeking a Technical Director to join our creative and dedicated team. The Technical Director is responsible for the overall operation and progress of all technical elements of the Theatre’s productions including lighting, sound, and properties with a focus on managing the scene shop and construction of all required scenic elements. This position works closely with directors and designers to reach artistic goals within allotted resources.
- Plans, schedules, and supervises the construction, load-in, tech, run and strike of all productions
- Work with individual Designers to facilitate technical needs of each production
- Approves all plans and designs for show lights, sound, and scenic elements
- With the Director of Production, hire, contract, and supervise all shop staff and independent contractors including, but not limited to: designers, full time technical staff, electricians, carpenters, stage managers, and any additional personnel required for specific production needs
- Makes purchases of scenic, lighting, and sound materials for each production
- Coordinate with IATSE LOCAL 78 Stage Employees in the hang of scenic and lighting elements
- Oversee all technical and dress rehearsals; and, attend specified rehearsals, production meetings and performances as needed
- Assist in special events and fundraising activities where technical needs are present
- Draft construction drawings as needed for each production
- Build and paint scenic elements for all productions with a team of overhire contractors and shop staff
- Ensures safety standards in operations and equipment, performs preventive maintenance on equipment, and arranges for the repair and replacement within budgetary constraints
- With the Executive Artistic Director, Director of Production and other departments, help plan long-range strategies for operations and facilities
- Helps to establish, and operate within, a technical production budget including shop and theater equipment
- Makes recommendations to Director of Production and Executive Artistic Director regarding capital purchases of equipment
- Operates, maintains and safeguards the technical assets of the theatre, including supervising the use of lighting, sound, communications equipment, and the use and maintenance of stage facilities
- Oversee the rental of all scenery, props, lighting equipment, and other equipment to outside organizations
- Participate in Season Planning for future productions
- Along with the Director of Operations and Director of Production, periodically meet with the BJCC staff to address the needs, timetables, and shared spaces of the organizations
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and access throughout the organization with policies and practices that foster positive outcomes
- Foster a collaborative, healthy, and productive working environment which focuses on a culture of kindness and respect
- Previous experience as a scene shop supervisor or technical director in a performing arts environment. Theater experience including lighting, sound, set design, painting, and stage management is preferred.
- Creative problem solver who can deal with complex and ambiguous challenges
- Demonstrates the ability to balance multiple projects, meet deadlines, communicate, and delegate effectively in a frequently flexible and quick-moving environment
- Thorough knowledge of theatrical, musical, and stage show technical techniques and requirements.
- Knowledge of stage, sound, lighting, and mechanical equipment and rigging including electricity and electronics systems and hardware
- Skilled, competent, and proficient in scenic carpentry techniques
- Skilled, competent, and proficient in stage rigging best practices
- Proficiency with drafting software such as CAD, Vectorworks, or comparable program
- Proficiency with Google Office Suite and Microsoft Office
- Ability to lift 40 lbs, climb ladders, and perform physical labor as needed
The Technical Director reports directly to the Director of Production. All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background inquiry.
START DATE: Summer 2024 (negotiable)
This position will be open until filled.
TO APPLY: Qualified candidates should email their resume and cover letter, along with a list of three references to [email protected]. Please type “Technical Director” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Birmingham Children’s Theatre exists to educate, entertain and enrich the lives of children through the magic of professional theatre. One of the nation’s oldest and largest professional theatre companies for young audiences, BCT produces high-quality, professional theatrical entertainment and curriculum-relevant arts education experiences for children and families. For more information, visit www.bct123.org
Birmingham Children’s Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. BCT is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org